Verify contractors licensing

How to Validate a Service pro's license and current Insurance information:

Great! you've found a pro you hired and want to move forward on a big project. Now what?


1. Contacting your state Attorneys general office to verify active status of license is a great starting point, and Always Check your local government for licensing requirements to determine whether your project requires a licensed professional.

We strongly urge home owners to Log onto your states attorney general website and look under contractors licensing. You can enter the license number of said contractor to validate current operating status of license and insurance coverage criteria are being met, we have created a list which has each and every state licensing requirements and links you can click on to validate a service provider’s credentials. Notice: This list is not 100% accurate and information can be outdated or incorrect, we simply offer it as a guide to help facilitate the process. We are always working to stay abreast of each state laws and strive to keep this list as accurate as possible. See more suggestion below to prepare for hiring a service pro.

Please see our list to verify a service professional licensing requirements in your state in the FAQ section

Be sure to confirm that the service pro’s insurance coverage is current and embodies your project.

The best way this is done is by contacting the insurance provider directly and have them place your name and address where work is to be performed, which they can mail, fax or email to you directly for authenticity and ensures you will be covered if it is necessary.

If your state attorney general office does not watch over their contractors:

There are online verification databases you can search or hotlines you can call to verify any licenses are valid and current. Search for the professional’s license, and if provided by the specific licensing agency, check whether the professional has been disciplined in the past.

Bear in mind that few licenses cover employees or subcontractors of the professional you are hiring.

Thus, be sure to verify the licenses of any individuals who will be working on your project with the requirements in your state, county, or locality.

Remember to check for worker’s compensation coverage:

This must cover any or all employees who will be performing work on your property. The state does often not enforce this to meet licensing requirements and can potentially lead to claims against the home owners should an injury arise.

Get everything in writing:

Once you’ve hired a licensed professional, be sure to discuss all details of the project including materials, deadlines, hours of work each day. Click the link below and learn more on what to look for in a contract and to view a few standard payment arrangement recommendations.

We here at Hope You Found this article informative and helpful

Homeowners hiring a contractor need to know the licensing requirements for your state.

Homeowners who hire an unlicensed contractor can face fines, local code enforcement/ inspectors can force you to remove your project without compensation, a dangerous situation at your home from faulty workmanship.

Contractors who work unlicensed can result in fines and or even jail time, also unlicensed contractors may not have any legal recourse if their client refuses to pay.

In general, licenses are needed for these following trades:

  • Residential General Contracting
  • Commercial Contracting
  • Home Improvement Renovator
  • Plumbing
  • Electrical
  • HVAC and HVACR
  • Gas / Propane
  • Lead renovation or abatement (License/Certification)
  • Asbestos/hazardous waste remediation (License/Certification)
  • D.O.T Certifications (needed for residential natural gas lines in some states)

Every state has different guidelines and rules contractors and specialty tradesman must adhere to, below is a general suggestive guide with phone numbers and links that consumers can use as a means of recourse to follow up with a potential contractor’s credentials and authenticity before they sign a contract to begin work. At we strongly urge consumers to always check with their local municipalities, city and or county authorities to explore any additional licenses and or permits that may be required before work commences.

The Differences Between Licensing, Certification, Registering, Credentials

Some states require licensing while others require registration, other states simply require registering only…

  • Licensing involves passing exams and meeting certain criteria to prove reasonable competency in a trade to ensure competency, this further protects the consumer
  • Registration is a written record of who is performing the work. It neither guarantee expertise or proves competency regarding the trade or craft being done.
  • Certifications involve training and passing exams to prove competency and proper protocols are to be followed with the publics best interests in mind. A good example of this would be Lead and Asbestos abatement practices, which are enforced by the EPA and DEP.
  • Credentials involves registering with the state or local government to show who is doing the work. does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, safety, legality, or usefulness of any Content, or Whether Content is Current and up-to-date, and Shall have no liability whatsoever with respect to your use or reliance upon any content or for content being removed or otherwise ceasing to be available. Please refer to the terms of use of this website for more details.


General Contractor Licensing Law - one who undertakes to construct or superintend the construction, alteration, maintenance, repair, rehabilitation, remediation, reclamation, or demolition of any building, highway, sewer, structure, site work, grading, paving or project or any improvement in the State of Alabama where the cost of the undertaking including labor and materials is $50,000 or more. Swimming Pool construction of $5,000 or more.

Subcontractors performing minimum contracts including labor and materials of $50,000 ($5,000 swimming pools) under contract to a licensed prime contractor must be licensed by the board.

License search:


Alaska requires a separate license for commercial and residential contractors (Non-residential contractors aren’t required to take an exam). There's quite a bit more involved in obtaining a general contractor's license in Alaska, to allow you to work on residential construction. First you must successfully complete the Alaska Craftsman Home Program (ACHP) or its equivalent, or a post-secondary course in Arctic engineering or its equivalent. You must complete the course within two years before you apply for the license.

Department of Community and Economic Development

Division of Occupational Licensing

The Alaska Department of Labor requires a Certificate of Fitness for:splumbers, electricians, and workers with asbestos abatement, hazardous paint, explosives, and boilers.

License search:


The Arizona Registrar of Contractors issues separate licenses for commercial and residential work, and dual licenses that cover both commercial and residential, for each trade or field of a construction science profession. Any business which contracts or offers to contract to build, alter, repair, add to, subtract from, improve, move, wreck or demolish any building, highway, road, railroad, excavation or other structure, development, or improvement, or to do any part of the work must be a licensed contractor.

Also, included in work requiring a license is the erection of scaffolding, connections to utility service lines, metering devices, and sewer lines, mechanical or structural service to a structure or improvement and any other work in connection with the project.

"Contractor" includes subcontractors, floor covering contractors, landscape contractors and consultants representing themselves as having the ability to supervise or manage a construction project for the benefit of the property owner.

Contractors must be properly licensed before submitting bids.

License search:


Licensing requirements: In general, (there are some important exceptions) anyone doing remodeling or repair work (any type of "home improvement" work) at a single-family residence, when the cost of the work is $2,000 or more, labor and material, must be licensed. Any type of "construction" work, from painting to floor covering, to roofing to home additions.

Subcontractors working for a licensed contractor do not need their own license, However, if the general contractor is not licensed, then the subcontractor does need their own license.

For further information regarding licensing requirements, please click on the link below and go to FAQ.

Contractors must be properly licensed before submitting bids.

License search:


California requires a license for jobs where labor and materials exceed $500.00 whether on a single project or on multiple projects totaling this amount.

California licensed contractors are required to have a contractor license bond. It's important to know what bonds do and do not cover. Some bonds are designed to protect you against substandard work that does not meet with local building codes. Bonds do not assure the financial or professional integrity or competency of a contractor. Institutional lenders such as savings and loans, insurance companies or commercial banks generally require licensed contractors to secure bonds for large jobs

Bonds may be classified as: Contractor License Bonds, Contract Bonds, and Blanket performance & Payment bonds.

Click on the link below for further information regarding bonding classifications and licensing requirements.

License search:


State license required for electrical, asbestos removal, plumbers, and pesticides trade;No state license for general contracting. Licensing may be required on a city or county level.

Contractors are required to get a business license, but not every contractor is required to get a contractor’s license. Local regulations should be checked.

License search:


Home improvement and new home construction contractors must have a certificate of registration by the state. Anyone working on a major project must be registered as a contractor in Connecticut.

Connecticut differentiates between “major contractor” from “minor contractor”. A major contractor is licensed to work on institutional residences (care homes, jails, etc.), hotels/motels, multi-family residences, and other large sites. A minor contractor is licensed to work on private homes and small multi-family units. A license is needed if the job exceeds $200.00 for a single job.

On and after July 1, 2008, a home improvement contractor shall not perform gas hearth product work, as defined in subdivision (22) of section 20-330, unless such home improvement contractor holds a limited contractor or journeyman gas hearth installer license

License search:


Any contractor conducting a business activity in Delaware is required to register with and obtain a business license from the Delaware Division of Revenue.

In addition to state level registering and licensing, some counties require additional licensing requirements from contractors, for example: All individuals and businesses that provide construction and building improvement services are required to obtain a New Castle County contractor license, in addition to the State of Delaware business license. Those that provide work requiring building permits need a contractor license with permit endorsement.

For further information on New castle county contractor requirements:

Contractors must be certified to handle asbestos in Delaware. However, the state has two classes of asbestos work -- Class A which is for a business whose primary work is asbestos abatement, and Class B for a business that can reasonably expect some of its projects to involve asbestos abatement. Examples of Class B are roofing/siding contractors and plumbing/HVAC contractors.

License search:


You need to be registered or certified to do construction work in Florida. You can get a "registered" contractor's license at the local level, unless a certified license is required by the county you want to perform the work in. Contractors with a "certified" license can work anywhere in the state. Check with your local level to validate any licensing required from contractors before they begin working.

  • To do electrical work statewide in Florida you need to be certified by the Electrical Contractors Licensing Board.
  • To do asbestos work statewide in Florida you need to be certified by:

Department of Business and Professional Regulation Asbestos Licensing Unit

1940 N. Monroe Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0071
(850) 487-1395


A Contractors License (General Contractor) is required in Georgia when the project exceeds $2,500. Please note that the Georgia Business and Law exam is also required to be passed to obtain your contractor’s license. Applicants are required to complete 8 hours of continuing education each year.

Electrical, Plumbing, Conditioned Air, Utility Manager, and Low-Voltage Contractor Classifications are required to be licensed at the state level.

License search:


Hawaii requires general engineering, general building, and specialty contractors to be licensed. General engineering contractors are needed for land levelling, sewers, excavations, and paving. General building contractors are needed for building structures such as additions and new construction. A few examples of specialty contractors are: Electricians, plumbers, Roofing, Tree Trimming, Removal, Swimming Pools, etc.

To find out if a contractor is licensed in Hawaii, click or call the Consumer Resource Center at (808) 587-3295


The state of Idaho doesn't license general contractors working on private sector residential or commercial projects. That's done at the local level. However, the state does license plumbers, electricians, well drillers, fire protection sprinkler contractors, and public works contractors

To find out if an electrician or plumber is licensed in Idaho, click

To find out if a well driller is licensed in Idaho, click or call (208) 327-7949.

To find out if a fire sprinkler contractor is licensed in Idaho, call (208) 334-4370.

To find out if a public works contractor is licensed, click


Most construction contractors don't need to be licensed in Illinois. Roofing contractors are the exception. Requirements must be checked at the local levels.

To find out if a roofing contractor is licensed, call (217) 785-0800.

To verify that a contractor is licensed, click on


Only plumbing contractors need to be licensed in Indiana. Before beginning work, you should check for license requirements at the local level

To find out if a plumber is licensed in Indiana, call (317) 232-5956

License search:


All construction contractors doing business in Iowa must be registered with the state. Electricians, plumbers, and mechanical professionals must be licensed with the state. Asbestos workers, contractors and supervisors must obtain licenses for all asbestos projects.

License search:


Except for asbestos abatement and water well drilling, Kansas doesn't license construction contractors at the state level. But you should check for licensing requirements at the local level.

For a list of licensed asbestos abatement contractors, click

For links to county information, click on For links to city websites, click on


Plumbing, electrical and HVAC contractors must be licensed in Kentucky. To find out if an electrician is licensed click

To find out if a plumbing contractor is licensed, call (502) 564-3580 or simply click on the link below to validate plumbing, electrical, HVAC or any other special trade licensing authenticity.

License search:


To do construction work in Louisiana you need to be licensed by the State Licensing Board for Contractors. When determining if a contractor’s license is needed, the law requires that the cost of labor and materials be combined to assess the total project amount (no matter who supplies the materials). If the total project amount exceeds $50,000 for commercial projects, $10,000 for plumbing, electrical & HVAC, and $7,500 for residential projects, a contractor’s license is required. Contractors usually have to post a bond equal to 5% of the contract price for any lump sum or cost-plus contract. The minimum bond amount is $1,000.

Plumbing, Asbestos abatement, or underground tank installation, you will also need a license from other agencies. You'll find more information on these specialty trades at the State Licensing Board website.

State of Louisiana
State Licensing Board for Contractors
P.O. Box 14419
Baton Rouge, LA 70898-4419
(225) 765-2301 (800) 256-1392

In addition to the State Contractor's Board license, you'll need to be certified to do asbestos and or Lead abatement work in Louisiana. To get more information on this, contact:

Department of Environmental Quality
Registrations and Certifications
P.O. Box 4313
Baton Rouge, LA 70821
(225) 219-3028 Fax: (225) 219-3154 E-mail: [email protected]

Water Well Driller's License
Except for oil and gas wells you must get a license from the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development to do well drilling work in Louisiana. To get an application, contact:

Water Resource Section
Department of Transportation and Development
P.O. Box 94245
Baton Rouge, LA 70804-9245
(225) 274-4172 Fax: (225) 274-4312

For additional information regarding License search:

General building contractors do not need a license in Maine. You'll need to be licensed to do asbestos abatement work, or electrical or plumbing contracting

License search:


General construction contractors don't need a license to work in Maryland. You will need a license to do electrical, plumbing or HVACR contracting, or work on home improvement projects.

Electrical work– Electrical contractors must get a master electrician license from the Maryland Board of Master Electricians.

Plumbing Work- To do plumbing work you must get a master or journey license from the Maryland State Board of Plumbing.

HVAC Work- To do HVACR work you must get a license from the Maryland State Board of HVACR Contractors.

Home Improvement Work- To work on home improvement projects you must get a contractor or subcontractor license from the Maryland Home Improvement Commission.

License search:


Anyone who supervises construction work or demolition (even a crew of one) needs a license. There are two types of Construction Supervisor's license, unrestricted and restricted. The Restricted Construction Supervisor's License limits work to one- and two-family dwellings and accessory buildings. The Unrestricted License allows work on structures up to 35,000 cubic feet. If you work on existing residential structures that are one- to four-unit owner-occupied buildings, you also need to register with the state.

License search:


Contractors working on residential or a combination of residential and commercial buildings must be licensed. Electricians, plumbers, and HVAC contractors also must be licensed. The Department Issues Residential Builder and Maintenance and Alteration Contractor's licenses.

The difference between the two are as follows:

Residential building license: enables contractors to work in several trades from painting, concrete, swimming pools, demolition, roofing. This license does not let you do plumbing, electrical, or mechanical work.

Maintenance and Alteration Contractor’s license: lets contractors work only in the trades they pass a trade exam on, they can be licensed in as many trades as they would like but must pass an exam for each one. This license does not let them do plumbing, electrical, or mechanical work.

Electrical Work: To do electrical work in Michigan you need a license. Some communities license electrical contractors at the local level. To find out if your city or county licenses at the local level, check the Electrical Administrative Board's.

Mechanical Contractors License: HVAC, Refrigeration, Ductwork, Fire Suppression, Specialty. There are six types of Specialty Licenses: solar, solid fuel, LP tank and pipe, underground tank and pipe, gas piping, and gas piping and venting

For further clarity on rules & Regulations on Mechanical work, regarding proper licensing, please contact:

Michigan Department of Labor

Bureau of Construction Codes

(517) 241-9325

Click on this link to validate current licensing:


If you work in only one of the following specialty trades (except roofing) you don't need a residential builder/remodeler license, but still must register with the Department of Labor & Industry. However, if the contractor works in two or more specialty trades, they need a license.

Here are the trades the Department uses:

Interior finishing
Exterior finishing
Drywall and plaster
General installation specialties

If you work in the roofing business, your company must get a roofer license. The Minnesota Department of Health, licenses plumbers.

The Board of Electricity, licenses electricians.
Cities or counties license mechanical contractors, but not by the state.

License search:


You must have a Residential Building license to build any residence which is three stories or less in height if the cost of the project is more than $50,000. You must have a Residential Remodeler's license to remodel any residence if the cost of the project is more than $10,000. If you don't reside in Mississippi and you have a license from a state whose licensing requirements are equal to those in Mississippi, you don't need a Mississippi license. Always check with your local city and county for additional requirements for permits and licensing.

For further information regarding Contractor licensing requirements, please contact:

Mississippi Contractor Licensing Board

2001 Airport Road, Suite 101
Jackson, MS 39208
(601) 354-6161 / (800) 354-6161

License search:


General construction contractors in Missouri, are licensed by city and county governments. Check with your local government for specific licensing requirements.

License searches are done by contacting your local city and county governments.


All construction contractors and subcontractors must register with the Department of Labor and Industry if they have employees. A construction contractor is defined, simply, as anyone who adds to or takes away from a structure, project, development, or improvement attached to real estate. Construction Contractor Registration (CR) helps level the playing field in the construction industry by assuring that all construction contractors are in compliance with the Montana Workers’ Compensation (WC) Act.

Ask for proof of their CR and verify it is in good standing by searching on our website; or calling our office at (406) 444-0563

Electricians and plumbers are required to be licensed by the state. For further information click on links:



License search: Independent contractors license search:


The Nebraska Contractor Registration Act requires contractors and subcontractors doing business in Nebraska to register with the Nebraska Department of Labor. All contractors with one or more employees must provide a current Workers’ Compensation Certificate of Insurance (ACORD 25) with the Department of Labor listed as the certificate holder. Each contractor is responsible for making sure an updated Certificate of Insurance is on file with the Department of Labor. Any contractor whose records indicate their coverage has expired will be removed from the list of registered contractors until an updated certificate is received from the contractor's insurance agency

Electricians must be licensed: To find out if an electrician is licensed in Nebraska, call (402) 471-3550. For the Electrical Contractor licenses, and journey man licenses Nebraska has reciprocal agreements with

several other states, check with website for further clarity on rules and regulations. Home builders plumbers, HVAC and renovators do not need licenses in their trades, however all contractors doing business in counties with a population of 100,000 or more need a license to do business, but they do require registration if the contract exceeds $2,500 dollars.

Electrician License search:


You must be licensed to bid or work on construction jobs in Nevada. To find out if a contractor is licensed in Nevada, go to or call 702-486-1100

New Hampshire

Only certain types of specialty contractors are licensed: asbestos and lead abatement contractors, electrical contractors, and plumbing contractors.

Contractors who work with asbestos in New Hampshire you must be certified and/or licensed by the New Hampshire Bureau of Health Risk Assessment. The Bureau issues an asbestos abatement contractor license, and certificates to asbestos workers and supervisors.

Please, click on the link below to find a list of certified asbestos contractors in New Hampshire:

Note: This web site is updated periodically, but should someone require current information concerning any contractor, feel free to contact me at [email protected] or directly at 603-271-4609.

Contractors who work in lead abatement in residential dwellings or child care centers in New Hampshire, must be certified and/or licensed by the New Hampshire Bureau of Health Risk Assessment.

To locate a RRP (Renovation, Repair, and Painting) certified renovator with EPA: Complete the information requested on the website and click on the “Search” button. A list of firms will be generated. Go to:

Note: If a company claims to be an EPA certified RRP renovator but does not appear on the website, you can contact the EPA directly at (617) 918‐1765 or (617) 918‐1607 for verification.

For a list of contractors licensed in lead abatement please visit : This list is updated quarterly.

Electrician License search:

Plumbing License research:

New Jersey

You must register to be in the business of building new homes in New Jersey. You must also warrant each new home you build and provide warranty follow-up services. Registration is required do business as a home repair contractor. Plumbers, Electricians, and Home Improvement contractors are licensed in New Jersey.

To find out if a new homebuilder contractor is licensed in New Jersey, call 609-984-7910.

To find out if a plumber is licensed in New Jersey, call (973) 504-6420.

To find out if an electrician is licensed in New Jersey, call (973) 504-6410. For a list of licensed asbestos contractors, call (609) 633-2159. To find out if a contractor has a HVAC

License call (973) 504-6250

For License searches click on this link:

New Mexico
All construction contractors must be licensed in New Mexico. To find out if a contractor is licensed in New Mexico, go to or call (505) 827-7030 (Santa Fe), (505) 841-8020 (Albuquerque) or (505) 524-6320 (Las Cruces)

New York

Except for asbestos abatement work, all construction work in New York is regulated at the local level. To find out if a contractor is licensed in New York, you will need to contact the licensing board in that contractor's community. You can also look them up by name or zip code at

North Carolina

General contractors who work on projects costing more than $30,000 in North Carolina must have a license from the North Carolina Licensing Board for General Contractors. Electrical, plumbing, heating and fire sprinkler contractors must be licensed regardless of the cost of the job or labor.

To find out if a general contractor is licensed, call (919) 571-4183 or click

To find out if a plumbing, heating or fire sprinkler contractor is licensed, go to or call (919) 875-3612

To find out if an electrician is licensed, go to or call (919) 733-9042.


Contractors must have a state license do Electrical, HVAC, Refrigeration, Plumbing, or Hydronic (i.e Boiler system, etc.) work in Ohio. General construction contractors may need to be licensed at the local level. Check with your local city or county departments for licensing information and requirements.

Contractor License Search:


Oklahoma doesn't license resident construction contractors, except in the electrical, mechanical, and plumbing trades, however, there are a few special requirements for nonresident contractors. Roofing contractors require registering with the state.
Non-Resident Contractors of Oklahoma must post a bond equal to three time the tax liability (or 10%) of any contract you get in the state. Contractors also need an employer identification number from the Oklahoma Tax Commission and the Oklahoma Employment Security Commission.

Roofing Contractors: The Roofing Contractor Registration Act (“RCRA”) creates a procedure whereby resident and nonresident roofing contractor are required to obtain a valid
registration from the CIB to engage in or offer to engage in roofing-related services in the State of Oklahoma.

To search registered Roofing Contractors:

To validate current licensing of an electrician, plumber, or mechanical contractor in Oklahoma, call (405) 2715217. Or click on the link below.

Contractor License & Roofing Registration Search:


Contractor licensing requirement: (If you're paid for any construction activity) you need to be licensed by the Building Codes Division and also registered with the Oregon Construction Contractors Board, However, there is a handyman exemption to this rule.

Handyman exemption

The threshold for performing certain work without a contractor license increased from $500 to $1,000. To qualify for the exemption, a contractor must perform work that is casual, minor, or inconsequential. This means that the work cannot:

  • Be structural in nature
  • Affect health or safety (this includes work on target housing built before 1978 or child-occupied facilities that may contain lead-based paint)
  • nclude work performed as a subcontractor to a licensed contractor

For further clarity on licensing requirements for specialty trades click on this link:

Reciprocal license information

Carefully read the general licensing rules (OAR 918-030-0045) before applying for an electrical or plumbing reciprocating license. The division will accept a reciprocal license only from a reciprocating state in which the applicant has tested. Oregon has a reciprocal agreement with the following states.

Journeyman Plumbers (JP)

  • Idaho
  • Montana

General Journeyman Electrician (J)

  • Arkansas
  • Idaho
  • Maine
  • Montana
  • Utah
  • Wyoming

General Supervising Electrician (S)

  • Arkansas
  • Utah

Requirements for pre-1978 structures Possibly containing Lead Paint.

Oregon enforces federal regulations for contractors working on housing or child-occupied facilities built before 1978.

Under these requirements, only contractors who are licensed for Lead-Based Paint Renovation can bid or work on pre-1978 homes, to use lead-safe work practices and reduce the risk of lead poisoning.

Does my contractor need a special lead license for my job?

Homes and child-occupied buildings such as daycare centers, preschools and kindergarten rooms constructed before 1978 are presumed to have lead paint unless testing shows otherwise.

This means a contractor cannot bid on a renovation project until they have completed an approved training class and obtain a Lead-Based Paint Renovation License.

Renovation means modifying any structure or part of a structure that disturbs more than:

  • Six square feet of painted surface per room for interior work.
  • 20 square feet of painted surface for exterior work.

This includes projects involving flooring, windows, gutters, siding, and painting. Window replacement is considered renovation.

Asbestos Abatement License and Certifications

If you do asbestos abatement work in Oregon, you must be licensed or certified by the Department of Environmental Quality

Contractor License Search:


The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania currently has no licensure or certification requirements for most construction contractors (or their employees). However, the law requires contractors to register with the Attorney General's office, this registration is not an endorsement of their honesty or quality of work.

To verify a contractor's registration number, click on link below or call toll free 1-888-520-6680.

Home improvement license search:


To comply with federal mandates, the State of Pennsylvania certifies contractors and workers that perform asbestos and lead removal services. These certifications are issued by the Certification, Accreditation and Licensing Division at the Department of Labor and Industry. If you have questions about asbestos or lead certification, please call 717-772-3396 or email at: [email protected]

Rhode Island

Contractors who build, repair, or remodel one- to four-family dwellings in Rhode Island, you must register with the Contractors' Registration Board. Specialty trade contractor’s must be licensed in Rhode Island, such as

Electricians, Plumbers, HVAC, Roofers, Asbestos Contractors

  • To Research if an electrician, plumber, or mechanical contractor is licensed, call (401) 462-8527
  • To research if a residential contractor or commercial roofer is licensed by the Rhode Island Contractors' Registration Board call (401) 222-1268
  • To Research if someone is licensed to do asbestos abatement work call (401) 222-3601 Contractor License search:

South Carolina

Contractors who work on residential homes/ buildings with materials and or labor costs over $200 must be licensed. Contractors who work on commercial buildings with materials and or labor over $5,000 in South Carolina must be licensed.

To find out if a contractor is licensed in South Carolina, go to and look under "contractors" and "residential home builders". You may also call (803) 896-4696 for residential.

To find out if a general or mechanical contractor (commercial) is licensed in South Carolina call (803) 896-4686

To find out if someone is licensed to do asbestos abatement work call (803) 734-4517. If a contractor has a license from another state whose requirements are comparable to South Carolina's, the Commission may grant you a license without taking the exam. Check with the Commission for authenticity.

In addition to licensing residential builders, the Commission also registers specialty contractors in the following 12 classifications at a cost of $50 and upon credit approval:

  • Plumbers
  • Electricians
  • Vinyl and aluminum siding installers
  • Insulation installers
  • Roofers
  • Floor covering installers
  • Masons
  • Dry wall installers
  • Carpenters
  • Stucco installers
  • Wall paper installers/painters

A residential specialty contractor is an independent contractor, who is not a licensed residential builder. The specialty contractor contracts with a licensed residential builder, general contractor, or individual property owner to do construction work, repairs, improvements, or re-improvements requiring special skills and involving the use of specialized construction trades or craft, when the undertakings exceed $200. If a specialty contractor performs work exceeding $5,000, the specialty contractor must obtain a surety bond in the amount of $5,000.

Contractor License search:

South Dakota

South Dakota only licenses Electricians, Plumbers, and asbestos abatement contractors. Check with your local city or county government regarding general contractor/home improvement licensing requirements.

  • To find out if an electrician is licensed in South Dakota, call (605) 773-3573 To find out if a plumber is licensed in South Dakota, call (605) 773-3429.
  • To find out if someone is licensed to do asbestos abatement work in South Dakota, call (605) 773-3153 or click


Notice: Who Is Required to Be A Licensed to work on Residential Homes in Tennessee.

A Tennessee contractor's license is required BEFORE bidding or offering a price, for projects $25,000 and up (includes materials and labor), as a prime (general) contractor; and, subcontractors performing electrical, mechanical, plumbing, HVAC, roofing and masonry are also required to be licensed as a contractor, when the total portion on the project is $25,000 or more; masonry, when $100,000 or more. In addition, a sub to a sub would need to be licensed whenever there are more than one (1) subcontractors on the project. Reciprocal agreements do NOT allow using another state's license in Tennessee, but provides a trade exam waiver, only. License issuance takes anywhere between 4 to 6 weeks and must be approved by the Board during regularly scheduled meetings.

  • Roofing subcontractors must be licensed as a contractor, effective January 1, 2014, in addition to performing work currently as a prime, for projects $25,000 or more.

All contractor’s licenses are assigned a monetary limit and a classification, such as: Building (Residential, Commercial, and Industrial); Electrical; Mechanical (Plumbing and HVAC); Heavy Construction; Highway, Railroad & Airport; Masonry; Municipal Utility; Environmental; and Specialties (landscaping, excavation, roofing, cell towers, solar panels, audio visual, etc.,). Contractor's must bid/contract in the exact name as licensed –

See more at:

Or Contractor License quick lookup:


Only specialty contractors, including HVAC, fire sprinkler systems, plumbing, electricians and well drilling/pump installation specialists, need to be licensed in Texas.

Home builders are not licensed, However, we strongly advise you to check with your local municipality or county in areas of the state outside of municipal authority, for local licensing requirements.

  • To find out if a specialty contractor is licensed for HVAC, well drilling and pumping, or industrialized housing in Texas, call (512) 463-6599 or (800) 803-9202.
  • To find out if a plumber is licensed click or call (512) 458-2145
  • To find out if a contractor is licensed for fire sprinkler systems call (512) 305-7933.

Contractor License Search:


To do construction work in Utah contractors need a license from the Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing. Electricians and plumbers must be licensed as well. To find out if a contractor, plumber, electrician is licensed in Utah, click

Notice: Contractors who have a valid contracting license in any of the following states, can apply for a Utah license by endorsement:

West Virginia
North Carolina
South Carolina

Contractor License search:


contractor licenses are required for asbestos abatement, lead abatement, electrical, and plumbing work. Check with your local city or county jurisdiction in which the work will be performed for additional licenses and permits that may be required.

Contractor License search:


Construction contractors must be licensed in Virginia, with a few exceptions to the rule. Specialty trade licenses are required for plumbing, electrical, HVAC, gas fitting, asbestos abatement, and lead abatement work.

Construction contractors who work in Virginia need a license or certificate from the Virginia Board for Contractors, The Board issues three types of contractor's licenses or certificates -- Class A, B, or C. Usually the type of license they get will be based on the value of contracts their business will work on.

Class A contractor works on single contracts for $70,000 or more or contracts totaling $500,000 or more over a one-year period (company must have a net worth of at least $45,000).

Class B contractor works on single contracts for $7,500 or more but less than $70,000 or contracts totaling $150,000 or more but less than $500,000 over a one-year period. Class C contractor works on single contracts for $1,000 or more but less than $7,500 or contracts totaling less than $150,000 over a one-year period

To research if a contractor is licensed in Virginia, call (804) 367-8511

To research if an electrician, plumber, gas pipe fitter, or HVAC specialist is licensed in Virginia, call (804) 367-2945

To research if someone is licensed to do Asbestos/Lead abatement work, call (804) 367-8595

Click this link for Contractor License search:


To do construction work in Washington Contractor must be registered with the Washington Department of Labor and Industries. The Washington Department of labor and Industries must license electricians and plumbers. To find out if a contractor, electrician, or plumber is registered in Washington call (360) 902-5226.

Or click on this link:

Notice: Contractors can register either as a general or specialty contractor.

A general contractor can perform or supervise numerous building trades or crafts. A specialty contractor can perform one building trade or craft. View the contractor specialty list by clicking here:

Click here for contractor License search:

Washington DC

To perform home improvement work for contracts exceeding $300, contractors need a license. Plumbing, electrical, asbestos abatement, home improvement and refrigeration and air conditioning contractors must be licensed to work in the District of Columbia. If you choose to hire A service pro from Maryland as opposed to DC, please familiarize yourself with the differences between laws governing contractors between the two and always do proper diligence before signing any contracts.

Notice: All subcontractors, such as: plumbers, gasfitters, electricians, refrigeration, and air condition technicians, hired by the General Contractor/Construction Manager must be properly licensed and registered as required by District of Columbia law.

General Contractors who perform work on existing residential properties, then a Basic Business License for the Home Improvement Contractor category is not required in addition to the Basic Business License for the General Contractor category.

Salespersons: Basic Business License for the Home Improvement Salesperson category are required in addition to the Basic Business License for the General Contractor category. To validate the licensing of a general contractor or specialty trade contractor click on this link:

West Virginia

Notice: The West Virginia Legislature adopted into law Chapter 21, Article 11 of the State Code in 1991. This law was established to set specific professional guidelines for contractors as well as to protect state businesses and consumers who utilize their services. The West Virginia Division of Labor acts as the enforcement arm of this Board, trained inspectors travel the state performing routine inspections and investigate claims of unlicensed contractor activity.

Licensing Requirements: Contractor Licensing does not issue a handyman license. Work performed under $2,500.00

(materials and labor, total contract not just the work you are performing) does not require a license, other than a West Virginia State Tax Business License. Work over this amount requires you to obtain a Contractor’s License for the type of work being performed.

Notice: Subcontractors working on a job valued greater than $2,500 need a contractor’s license, even if the portion they are receiving is valued under the $2,500 threshold.

Plumbers: West Virginia Law requires the certification of plumbers. No plumber may perform or offer to perform plumbing work in West Virginia without a plumber certification issued by the West Virginia Division of Labor.

  • In your own home or the home of an immediate family member.
  • Incidental plumbing work during the installation of HVAC units.
  • Incidental plumbing work during the installation/ repair of an appliance as a employee of a retail appliance store

Contractor’s also need an individual electrician's license to do electrical work in West Virginia

For further information on Electrician Licensing or to validate licensing, please contact:

State Fire Marshal

Electrician's License Section (304) 558-2191 or click on:

Electrical Reciprocity Information

The West Virginia State Fire Marshal's Office recognizes reciprocity with several Jurisdictions (Virginia, Ohio, North Carolina, Kentucky, Maryland). Regardless of the Jurisdiction, each applicant MUST possess the minimum WV requirements for licensure. Reciprocity can only be granted if the individual tested under the current licensing entity and with proof of successfully passing an examination

Contractor License search:


Electrical, Plumbers, HVAC and building contractors must have the proper state credentials (i.e. Registered, Licensed, Certification). No person may obtain a building permit for a 1 and 2 family dwelling, unless the person complies with the following:

  • Holds a dwelling contractor certification or a dwelling contractor restricted certification issued by the department.
  • Holds or engages, as an employee, a person who holds a certification issued by the Department as a dwelling contractor qualifier.
  • There are a few exceptions to this rule, for further clarity please contact

Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services at (608) 266-2112

or click on this link:

The Department of Health Services certifies lead and Asbestos abatement contractors: For assistance, contact the DHS Asbestos and Lead office at (608)-261-6876. For more info, click on links below:


Electricians are licensed at the state level. All others are licensed at the local city or county levels

Electrician licenses are checked by contacting:

State of Wyoming

Department of Fire Prevention & Electrical Safety

Herschler Bldg. 1-West

Cheyenne, WY 82002

(307) 777-7288

Contractor search, also call your local city or county office to validate Contractor Authenticity, permitting rules:

U-Bidit Newsletter Sign Up

U-Bidit Call Us Now: 1-888-311-U-BIDIT

U-Bidit Call: 1-888-311-(8243)